LED (light-emitting diode) traffic signals represent a different technology than traditional incandescent signal bulbs.
LEDs offer several advantages over incandescent bulbs:
- Seem brighter
- Last longer without replacement
- More efficient and durable
- Energy cost is less to operate
- Do not burn out, they become a failing light [i.e., LEDs often go out in parts, leaving part of the string of LEDs inside the traffic light operative and emitting lights], therefore the indication will not suddenly burn out.
- Replacing bulbs costs money and the replacement process inhibits traffic flow
- Safety of intersections is increased by fewer burned-out lights
- Less burned-out related calls/reports
The primary disadvantage of LEDs is that since they do not produce heat, snow may not melt if it accumulates on the visors.